Filed under School Community

Safety at Senior Week

A+student+searching+for+the+perfect+senior+week+house+for+her+and+her+friends.+
A student searching for the perfect senior week house for her and her friends.

Senior Week is coming up very soon for Patterson Mill seniors. This week of celebration can be very dangerous, especially with it being the first time most students go off on a trip without adults present. Being mature and responsible plays a huge role in safety when being away from home. Here are some important tips to keep you safe during Senior Week.

BRING AN ADULT

First off, bringing a parent to Senior Week is actually a good idea. They don’t necessarily have to stay with the group going down, but they should stay in a hotel close by in case any emergencies occur. The parent does not have to hover around, it could be like their own little vacation. Wendy Petenbrink, parent of Brock Petenbrink, went down to Ocean City the same week Brock and his friends went to make sure they would be safe. Wendy said she helped out their group a lot that week and it was a “good move” on her part.  They will just be there to help handle any crisis or emergency that might happen. If any parents aren’t comfortable with their child going on Senior Week, maybe run this idea by them and they might change their mind if there is an adult going.

STAY OUT OF TROUBLE

Secondly, don’t do anything that will get you into trouble. There are police everywhere during Senior Week. Drinking and doing drugs is a bad idea, but especially during Senior Week. Something bad could happen and being far from home when something bad happens is never fun. There are plenty of ways to have fun without doing illegal activities. Go to the beach, the Boardwalk, a water park, out to eat, shopping, or mini golfing. If you’re wondering how you are supposed to get around don’t worry, the Ocean City buses offers a bus pass for only five dollars during Senior Week. You won’t have to worry about having transportation or paying gas money while there. There are so many things to do at the beach; try to go to new places you’ve never been before.

STAY TOGETHER

Staying in groups is crucial. Never go anywhere alone. There are people out there that don’t have good intentions. Being alone in a place you aren’t familiar with is never a good idea. There have been many accidents and kidnappings during Senior Weeks because kids go out alone. Always have a phone with you just in case you need to reach someone or call 911. Having pepper spray is also smart. Keep it on a keychain or in a purse so it’s easy to get to. Staying together is one of the most important tips to follow during Senior Week.

PRACTICE GOOD HABITS

Practicing good habits will help you prepare for more things coming in life. Senior Week is probably the first time you will be going away from home alone, so you will learn a lot from this experience; from how to handle money to who your mature and immature friends are. These lessons are crucial, especially if you’re going away to college in the next few months. Don’t do anything you wouldn’t do in front of your grandmother.

The main point is to make smart and safe decisions. These tips are to help keep our students safe. Accidents do happen, but this will lessen the chance of any bad situations occuring. Keeping our students safe is the number one priority.