Filed under Reviews

Expedition of the New Tomb Raider

Back to Article
Back to Article

Expedition of the New Tomb Raider

The main character Lara Croft played by Alicia Vikander. Lara Croft's adventure to find her missing father.

Sean Lipka

Sean Lipka

Sean Lipka

The new movie Tomb Raider just came out on March 16th, but is it really new? There have been past Tomb Raiders covering the same story line as in the upcoming Tomb Raider. In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft’s father is a missing adventurer and she finds herself on the island where her father disappeared. There have been major actor changes, such as the actor for Lara Croft, changing from Angelina Jolie to Alicia Vikander. The movie seemed to be closely related to the Tomb Raider game which came out on March 5, 2013. It was enjoyable to watch and I would recommend any readers to see it.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider which came out on June 15, 2001 was packed with amazing action sequences and good actors. The main role of Lara Croft was played by Angelina Jolie who fit the character very well. Angelina Jolie had the kickboxing skills and other attributes to deliver what people wanted to see, but the director and screenwriter didn’t do as good of a job when it came to the boring, generic bad guys and missing-father motivation. It would have been nice to see the people behind the movie to create a more real character or even an extraordinary plot. This movie gets it wrong when it shows Lara being so tough as she shrugs off the near destruction of her home, but is willing to risk her life to save a man that has done nothing but betray her.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life which came out on July 25, 2003, sees Lara finding an ancient sunken library and an orb that turns out to be a map to Pandora’s Box. The Pandora’s Box contains virulent biological agents that will unleash a plague on the world. They did surprise us with its better plot, better characters, and better acting than the first movie, but let’s be honest, the people who saw this movie didn’t see it for those factors. The audience for this movie wanted to see the movie version of the popular computer game, with Angelina Jolie decking and shooting as many bad guys as possible. All of that was there, and it made the plot, character, and acting forgettable. There were still some genuine thrilling scenes, especially when Lara and Terry Don fly through the air like a flying squirrel. This movie was better than the first, but still had room for more improvement.

In the newest Tomb Raider which came out on March 16, 2018, Lara Croft, now played by Alicia Vikander, is working as a courier and had been practicing kickboxing. In the movie, she could have signed a paper that would be her acknowledgment of her father’s death. She could have then claimed the massive inheritance that would come from him. Yet she refuses to believe he’s gone, so she finds some clues to his papers, records, and decides to follow his trail to an obscure island off the coast of Japan. The new movie, even with a new actor playing Lara Croft, still makes the same mistakes as in the first two movies. It also managed to even add a few new ones, based on the hit video game series. All the movies seemed to be flooded with action, this made the action seem thick and didn’t allow it to flow as well. The first two movies seemed to lack in character development, where the new one seemed to have too much. Overall the movie seemed to be of quality.  They fixed some of the issues with the old movies, but seemed to surface some more in the process. It didn’t seem to be too inappropriate, it does show a lot of violence so this movie may not be for young children. The rating is PG-13 meaning you must be 13 and over to see without a parent/guardian.

Cast: Alicia Vikander, Dominic West, Walton Goggins, Daniel Wu, Kristin Scott Thomas, Derek Jacobi, Alexandre Willaume, Tamer Burjaq, Adrian Collins, Keenan Arrison, Andrian Mazive, Milton Schorr, Hannah John- Kamen, Peter Waison, Samuel Mak, Sky Yang, Civic Chung, Etc…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365519/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Running Time: 1 hour 58 minutes

Rated: PG-13