Filed under Reviews

Two different forms of entertainment from A Wrinkle in Time

In this movie A Wrinkle in Time, there are three guardians and four other main characters. Meg is the center of the characters and Charles Wallace is the kid who starts it all.

Bryce Hoffmaster

Bryce Hoffmaster

Do you think the new 2018 movie, Wrinkle in Time (directed by Ava DuVernay) can compare to the almost six decades old book  Wrinkle in Time? In the movie, there is a girl named Meg whose father was taken by IT, which is the darkness of all the different worlds. She endeavors to save her father with the help of her friend Calvin, her brother Charles Wallace, and the guardians: Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which. Meg’s father, Mr. Murry, was a gifted scientist and believed that anyone could travel faster and longer than the speed of light with the snap of a finger. He has been missing for four years, so Meg and her friends go on a quest to save him. 

The actor Storm Reid, who played Meg, did some of the best acting showing emotion and playing her part in the movie wonderfully. She did a splendid job from beginning to end, transitioning in emotion throughout the whole movie. She conveyed sadness, joy, and love in this movie. The more famous actors such as Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling, Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon did an overall decent job for acting. First, Oprah Winfrey seemed like she was the leader of the guardians and tried to look spectacular in appearance, but it wasn’t that awe-inspiring. Throughout the film she didn’t need to do any good acting, she basically just gave good advice throughout this motion picture and didn’t need to show emotion. Second, Mindy Kaling did a respectable job being able to recite inspiring quotes from famous people, being a motivational character, and showing the intelligence of her character. Third, Chris Pine has been a part of several recent popular movies including Wonder Woman, the Star Trek franchise, and Rise of the Guardians. In Wrinkle in Time he played the convincing role of Meg’s father. He played a quality role showing a frequent amount of emotion, was genuine, and charismatic. Finally, Reese Witherspoon was, without a doubt, the most effervescent character in the film. She did a superb job shaking the confidence of the main character by putting her down, but helping Meg persevere.  

The award-winning and compelling science fantasy novel written in 1963 showed similarities and differences to this modern day contemporary movie. Similarities included the It not being an actual person, but being the evil of the Universe. Another resemblance the movie had of the book was the guardians and how they helped Meg throughout the entire movie. Differences of both forms of Wrinkle in Time are the Christian element which was in the book and they took that out completely in the movie. Mrs. Jackson, from Sparrows Point High School, referred me to this quote: “Angels!” Calvin shouted suddenly from across the table. “Guardian Angels!” There was a moment’s silence, and he shouted again, his face tense with concentration, “Messengers! Messengers of God!” This quote incorporates the fact that the book had that Christian element. Also, all the characters in the book are white but, in the movie, they made it more diverse with Mrs. Murry being black, Mrs. Which also being black, and Mrs. Who being Indian. 

Director: Ava DuVernay 

Cast: Storm Reid, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Levi Miller, Deric McCabe, Chris Pine, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Pena, Andre Holland, Rowan Blanchard, Bellamy Young, David Oyelowo, and more at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1620680/fullcredits 

Running time: 2 hours 

Rated: PG