Criminal Justice Club; students taking a bite out of crime

Students+from+the+Criminal+Justice+Club+%28Courtland+WIlson%2C+Sierra+Poe%2C+Caitlin+Jimison%2C+Caitlyn+Hennessy.+Savannah+London%29+take+a+trip+to+the+Emergency+Operations+Center+where+they+learned+and+witnessed+911+calls+and+how+to+track+someone+instantly+with+professional+procedures+and+equipment.++Students+were+also+able+to+witness+police%2Ffire%2FEMT+dispatch+and+where+the+county+is+run+during+disasters.%0A+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students from the Criminal Justice Club (Courtland WIlson, Sierra Poe, Caitlin Jimison, Caitlyn Hennessy. Savannah London) take a trip to the Emergency Operations Center where they learned and witnessed 911 calls and how to track someone instantly with professional procedures and equipment.  Students were also able to witness police/fire/EMT dispatch and where the county is run during disasters.

Students from the Criminal Justice Club (Courtland WIlson, Sierra Poe, Caitlin Jimison, Caitlyn Hennessy. Savannah London) take a trip to the Emergency Operations Center where they learned and witnessed 911 calls and how to track someone instantly with professional procedures and equipment. Students were also able to witness police/fire/EMT dispatch and where the county is run during disasters.

Mr. Deputy Robert Kovacs

Mr. Deputy Robert Kovacs

Mr. Deputy Robert Kovacs

The Criminal Justice Club at Patterson Mill is on a mission to create an opportunity for students to learn about the criminal justice profession and encourage students to follow their passion in the path of law enforcement. This club was created to give the students at Patterson Mill the ability to make connections with each other and explore more fascinating programs outside of school with the guidance of criminal justice professionals.

The Criminal Justice Club in Patterson Mill was created by Deputy Robert Kovacs in 2015.  Mr. Kovacs’ father was a cop and he has been fascinated by law enforcement ever since and pursued his passion when he was 26 years old. When the Criminal Justice Club was created at Patterson Mill there was no problem to find students who wanted to join, for this club was wanted by the students. The students wanted a club where they could truly create a pathway for themselves instead of doing sports or joining a club that may not have satisfied their passion. Deputy Kovacs has a very unique and fun way of educating students about the criminal justice field and to, as he states, “help students understand how important it is to have a drug- free life and attain your goals as they are equally as important.”

The Criminal Justice Club invites in professionals like K9 (police dogs) deputies, gang experts, FBI agents and detectives at least once a month and explain each of their roles in the community and the work they do everyday. Not only do they do interesting activities in school, but they also take trips to locations such as the jail, the Emergency Operations Center, the Southern Precinct and the Detention Center.  Senior Erin Lloyd states the Detention Center “is my favorite! I have been so many times I could give the tour myself.” The club is also taking a trip this April to the Spy Museum and joining the North Harford High School club to go white water rafting, all of which expose the students to different aspects of the criminal justice system.

The students in this club have experienced many characteristics of the criminal justice field and plan to follow the pathway of law enforcement. For example, senior Erin Lloyd says, “I have learned so much, especially because this club gave me the opportunity to attend the youth academy  and help out with the tobacco details.”  She is attending the Mount Saint Mary’s in the fall, “where I will be studying criminal justice and hopefully be a deputy in the near future.”  Students work hard and dedicate their time in and out of school by creating connections with professionals who can guide them into the right direction. Senior Caitlin Jimison states that, “having similar interests as other people and people I was friends with before this club….has given us an opportunity to grow a friendship.” Not only has this club given students an opportunity to connect with people outside of this club, but create friendships that can last a lifetime.