The Rockin’ 80’s Return

Lea Scavetta (9) wearing high-waisted pants with a waist clinching belt, demonstrating the modernized trends of the 80's. Her unique 80's style combines with modern trends in a bold but simple way.

From acid washed jean jackets to Sperry topsiders, the 80’s holds many of the most iconic fashion trends and they continue to appear in the hallways of Patterson Mill. With new fashion trends this year, some familiar ones are making a bold reappearance.

At Patterson Mill, fashion trends vary throughout and many diverse styles can be seen. A reoccurring style that seems to be coming back are 80’s trends. Examples of 80’s trends include velour fabrics, Reebok shoes, scrunchies, parachute pants, animal prints, leggings, penny loafers, and many more. Although these items have been adopted recently, there are some modern twists to the style and even some elimination of certain 80’s trends.

Some trends that have been adopted from the 80’s to now are pegged pants, which are pants that cut off around the ankle and are often rolled. They may be seen just as they were worn in the 80’s time period, with little to no modification. Often worn with these pants are waist-cinching belts, which are worn similarly to how they were worn in the 80’s, just certainly with less neon.

More trends that remain similar to their original appearance include denim jackets, which may be worn with anything from casual to dressy and can vary in different washes. Scrunchies have made a reappearance in significantly less teased hair, but carry the same casual but cute completion to an outfit.

Although many 80’s trends are coming back around, some were left in the past and maybe for the better. For example, the neon that was emphasized in the decade has yet to reappear. Along with this, brightly colored leg warmers have stayed in their rightful decade.

Students at Patterson Mill have been inspired by the sudden uprising of 80’s clothing, but some see their fashion sense as another way to express themselves. “I was really inspired by the derelict collection by Mugatu from Zoolander,” Julianna Brooks (9) says, “But I like to show my personality through my clothes.” For many students, showing their personality through their clothes consists of bright colors, graphic t-shirts, and unique patterns. These types of clothes are often seen in 80’s fashion.

Although some may say that the 80’s is making a reappearance, there are many different and modified aspects that don’t display these trends quite how they were in the original decade. Each individual may twist the trend in their own unique, expressive way, but there is no doubt that the exotic trends of the 80’s are inspiring students to become more in touch with their style.