Filed under Health

Fad diets aren’t fab

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fad diets aren’t fab

9th grade student, Aimee Wilson displays how some teens struggle with body image. 30 million people in the US have an eating disorder. These disorders can be caused by media advertising to lose weight.

Grace Tasel

Grace Tasel

Grace Tasel

Fad diets are said to cause fast weight loss and have always been a trend in modern media. The obsession with being skinny has taken over many teens minds, however these diets can cause negative effects such as vitamin deficiencies and poor self-image. Many companies have been  taking advantage of this by profiting off of these diet crazes, such as Weight Watchers (portion control), Lean Cuisine (low calorie diet), GNC (protein powder diets) and Atkins (no carb diet). According to Money US News.com, Americans spend 60 billion annually in dieting and weight loss. This industry is huge and advertisements target every age group.

Weight Watchers is a company endorsed by many celebrities such as Oprah, Charles Barkley and Jessica Simpson. Weight Watchers is highly influential because of its marketing. The NY Post said, “Starting in July, youngsters between the ages of 13 and 17 will be able to go to any of the [Weight Watcher] locations around the United States and get access to a no-cost six-week promotion.” Weight Watchers says its not a diet and you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within the guidelines. It uses a point system to control food choices and portions. However, these points don’t take into consideration the vitamins that a human needs. This causes vitamin deficiency and malnourishment, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism can cause fatigue and discourages working out which is very important for weight loss. Weight Watcher dishes contain high amounts of sodium that usually go above the daily value. This is very bad for people, especially with high blood pressure. According to Mr. Arist, the middle school health teacher, fad diets are destructive to teens who are still growing, because they need the right amount of vitamins and nutrients.

These diets are also becoming more available to the public. An example of this is Lean Cuisine, a frozen meal diet that focuses on lower calorie portions. Lean Cuisine meals contain 50% of your daily sodium value and they currently don’t offer any low sodium options. The company is not very public about the sodium in their food or the way they make it either. During a live chat on the Lean Cuisine website with an associate named Gary, he specified if the food was processed or not. “We use real meat in our meals. The meat used in our products is not ‘ground’ and formed like hamburger meat. However, several pieces of meat may be presses together to achieve a uniform size/weight.” Lean Cuisine claims to make fresh frozen meals, however their freshness has caused a lot of controversy. Lean Cuisine’s vegetables are not as good as one might think. Because the meal is frozen phytochemicals and vitamin profiles will be missing from the vegetables, says Lovetoknow.com. Its a better idea to create your own meals that incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables and other nutrient rich items.

GNC is another company that promotes “looking great for any event.” This company mainly creates meal substitution protein powders that promote weight loss. According to mindbodygreen.com, protein powders are dried and processed to the point where the body doesn’t know what to do with the powder. This leads to many health related problems. GNC pressures many athletes to change their build and become more fit, when in reality they are hurting themselves. Mr. Arist explains how advertising can be misleading to young adults, “I think anything you see on TV, social media can all have an influence on what you eat or how you diet, especially if somebody famous is pushing it.” Most of a persons daily protein can be found in natural foods they eat such as eggs, almonds, Greek yogurt and peanut butter.Instead of protein powders its better to eat naturally protein rich items instead of these fake processed products. Protein powder is not a meal substitution, its merely an addition to a normal meal. Whole food and exercise is the best way to healthily lose weight.

Finally Atkins is a low carb dieting company. They claim to reduce sugar leaves and decrease fat storage/cravings in order to lose weight. On this diet people can experience headaches, diarrhea and muscle weakness, since they are being malnourished says Fox News. In the long term, most of the weight lost on this diet is water weight, since a lot of water is kept with carbohydrates. Atkins gives consumers unlimited protein intake, but strives for little to no carbohydrates in the diet. Atkins also makes a line of smoothies and shakes, these claim to fill cravings with a very low amount of carbs. These shakes are extremely processed and are made of ingredients like cellulose gum and chlorine. On this diet consumers will have major carbohydrate deficiency causing many sugar shortages in the brain and muscles. Atkins uses celebrity’s such as Rob Lowe to encourage people to join in this dangerous diet. Mr. Arist recommends, “Teens are still growing and their bodies are changing. Feel good about your weight and rock out how you are. Don’t try to look like the air brushed model on social media. teens are still growing and their bodies are changing. Feel good about your weight and rock out how you are. Don’t try to look like the air brushed model on social media.”

Fad diets are harmful and go after young adults in unfair ways. The healthiest way to lose weight is eating a whole food diet with all the nutrients your body needs and of course getting exercise. Most importantly, one needs to be safe when losing weight, losing weight harmfully is just as bad as using these diets. Make sure to contact a doctor before trying any weight loss strategies.