Filed under Reviews

Rise out of your seat to watch NBC’s new show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carla Holzinger (9) reading Drama High.  This book inspired the new NBC show Rise.

Carla Holzinger (9) reading Drama High. This book inspired the new NBC show Rise.

Aimee Wilson

Aimee Wilson

Aimee Wilson

By the writers of This is Us, it is no surprise that the new show on NBC Rise is already an inspiring, heartwarming story.  Rise is a true story about high school students in a theater program, but goes into depth about each individual character’s background and struggles.   The story is loosely based on a high school in Pennsylvania, called Harry S. Truman High School. However, in the show they changed the name to Stanton High School, along with many other things.  It originated from the book made about Harry S. Truman High, Drama High: The Incredible True Story of a Brilliant Teacher, a Struggling Town, and the Magic of Theater.  We can relate the show to our drama company or our school as a whole because of the bond the characters have.  Even with our differences we are still able to come together and support one another.  The characters act as family, and that is something we can admire and look up to at Patterson Mill. It premiers every Tuesday at 9/8c on NBC.

The new theater teacher, named Lou Mazzuchelli (Josh Radner) is the first person to direct the controversial play Spring Awakening at a high school.  Spring Awakening is a German show that goes into topics that wouldn’t normally be talked about at a public school, such as teen pregnancy, abortion, and suicide.  He chooses the play because he wants to make an impact on the community and bring a light to real issues and topics.  Lou takes each of the kids under his wing and treats them as his own.  Each character has their own unique story to tell.  For example, Robbie (Damon Gillespie) the leading quarterback who has to choose between football and the play. Lillete (Aluli’i Cravalho), who is a shy girl acting in her first play, and  Simon (Ted Sutherland), a boy with very religious parents that are not in favor of his role in the play.  Critics have described the show as Friday Night Lights meets Glee.  The show relates to Friday Night Lights because it is a realistic teen drama, but it’s more focused on theater than football.  That is why critics compare it to Glee, because they both have many musical elements.

The show is getting a small amount of backlash for making Lou straight with a family, while in real life  he was a closeted gay man, married with kids.  However, the show has just started and this may lead to a twist later on.  When asked about Rise, Josh Radnor, who plays Lou, said “Rise is set in a working-class, former steel town in PA that’s home to this theater apartment hat teaches empathy and compassion stepping into other people’s experiences.”   The show is not perfect, but it is just starting so it leaves room for improvement on developing the characters.

This story will leave you laughing, crying, and everything in between.  It includes something for everyone, a budding love stories between Lillete and Robbie, a boy struggling with his identity, and a large amount of comedy sprinkled throughout the show.  This show is loved mostly because it is able to give people a voice, because each character is struggling to find themselves.  The characters gives others struggling with similar situations someone to relate to, which is very important for people that feel alone.  It is a show everyone will be able to enjoy.