Filed under Reviews

A volleyball sensation, ‘The Miracle Season’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meadow Santoriello (9), at Regal Cinemas in Bel Air, seeing The Miracle Season it's debut weekend. Meadow says she enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.

Lindsey Tolliver

Lindsey Tolliver

Lindsey Tolliver

The Miracle Season, directed by Sean McNamara, is an inspirational and wonderful movie based on a true story. Released on April 6th, making $6.9 million it’s opening weekend, the film is about a volleyball team trying to work together, overcoming adversity, and all having the same dream: win state championships for the second year in a row. This movie will have you in tears by the end.

Iowa City’s West High School’s volleyball team has won the state championships the past couple years and are looking to win it again. The team has prepared very hard for their upcoming start to the season. Their first game was a big upset, losing to one of the hardest teams in the bracket. The girls push themselves to perform better the next game. Before the game the team meets to pray and go over the plays. On the way, home Caroline Found (Danika Yarosh) gets in a moped accident and dies. The team is left in despair after losing their star player. It was hard to fill the gaps on the court without her there. The team suffers from losing many games. The girls work to push through the hard times and win 15 games in a row during the season.

Yarosh, did a good job throughout the movie. Her uplifting character really showed how passionate she was about the sport. During the movie she made every single person smile by having such an optimistic attitude and she’ll make the audience smile, too. Her best friend Kelly (Erin Moriarty) did a great job, by showing how much she wanted to win the state championship for Caroline. Her motivation shows she wasn’t going to take losing as an outcome. After the devastating news of losing her best friend, everyone in the theater could feel her emotion rushing through them. Tears coming down her face made the whole theater cry, too. She had a big role, being the one who had to bring the team back together. She kept fighting until she reached her dreams.

Kathy Bresnahan (Helen Hunt), was the volleyball team’s coach. She did an excellent job, Hunt put in so much energy in her acting., she portrays an amazing coach. She pushes the team to be the best they can be. At one point she told the team, “You are strong independent women, win this for yourselves.” This was a turning point in the movie because, the whole team gets caught up in winning states for Caroline and if they lose they’ll be devastated. Ernie Found (William Hurt), as Caroline’s dad, is left heartbroken after he hears the terrible news. He did an amazing job showing all his emotion. When Caroline crashed, the police showed up at his doorstep. He received the worst news he had ever heard, he dropped to the ground and sobbed. At this moment everyone feels the sorrow. The team fights harder than they ever have. The strong bond the team creates helps cope with the sadness going on.

This movie is perfect for anyone. The lessons taught inspire others and teach people to push through hardship. This film shows how everyone goes through adversity in their life, but working hard comes with an outcome that’s all worth it. This story is a miracle and will have you crying and smiling when it’s all over.