Filed under Editorial

We should have driver’s education in public schools

Senior, Larry Clark exits his car ready for school in the morning. Larry moved to Patterson Mill two years ago and  his old school offered drivers education, which students took for no cost. according to dosomething.org,  56% of teenagers rely on their parents to learn how to drive.

Senior, Larry Clark exits his car ready for school in the morning. Larry moved to Patterson Mill two years ago and his old school offered drivers education, which students took for no cost. according to dosomething.org, 56% of teenagers rely on their parents to learn how to drive.

‘Driving is an important skill for everyone and it ought to be taught in public schools. If teens are given drivers’ education classes, there will be fewer automotive accidents, reckless driving, illegal driving actions and less ticketing of young drivers. Safety comes first and the schools should implement policies that will make the roads safer for everyone. Additionally, driving is an important, everyday skill. According to facethefactsusa.org, the average person drives 37 miles per day.

Driver’s education instructors generally supervise 30-40 mandated driving hours before a student gets their license and reviews local driving laws, asks questions about tough scenarios students might encounter while driving and prepares students for the written and physical driving test. With all of this practice and knowledge, it makes sense why it helps students on the road.

Some feel that there is no need for driver’s education classes to be included with public education because driving is not a right. The constitution affords us all a free education. Other things, such as driver’s education courses, along with health care and the Internet, are not something that we have a right to. However, Alabama, Minnesota and North Dakota are the only states that do not require some form of driver’s education. All students of Maryland must have taken some form of drivers ed to earn a license.

86% of Americans get to work by a car and 3,287 people die from car crashes each day. Citizens ought to be better educated about road safety. Teens 16-19 have the highest accident rate in the nation. In fact, 16 to 19-year olds are about three times more likely to be in a fatal crash than those 20 and older. According to AAA, if teens take driver’s ed, they can reduce their accident rate by 4.3%and cut down on getting ticketed by 40%.

These are the cars fof teachers and students of Patterson Mill. 16-year-olds have higher crash rates than drivers of any other age. 33% of deaths among 13 to 19-year-olds in 2010 occurred in motor vehicle crashes.

Many students are unable to afford the cost of an extra-curricular driver’s education class. To sit in a classroom for two hours and learn about the laws, students must pay 250 dollars for a full course. Most teens and parents find the prices ridiculous and the students only take one road test.

The average students spends 3.5 hours working on homework each night and spends additional hours studying. Most teens do not have time to take the driver’s classes after school hours. Driver’s education is a fundamental part of all student’s educational career. If driver’s ed classes were readily available in schools the amount of accidents, tickets and stress on the students will decrease.