Filed under Reviews

A Quiet Place: A silent twist on a horror movie

Back to Article
Back to Article

An advertisement for A Quiet Place at Regal Cinemas in Bel Air. This film has a unique twist that sets it apart from any other horror film.

Lindsey Tolliver

Lindsey Tolliver

Lindsey Tolliver

A Quiet Place, written and directed by John Krasinski, made a huge $50 million for the opening weekend. The film is truly unique and amazing,  setting it apart from any other horror movie. This movie is so suspenseful it keeps you on the edge of your seat or for some, halfway covering your eyes in fear of what comes next.

The movie takes place in a deserted farming town, Little Falls New York, where only a few families have survived the quietness, one of them being the Abbott family. Lee Abbott (John Krasinski) is only trying to keep everyone in his family safe. Unidentified alien like creatures have taken over the area, they have extremely sensitive ears and can hear the softest whispers. The family must remain silent to stay alive. During the movie the family has close encounters with the creatures. The movie starts off in an abandoned grocery store. To travel back to their house, Lee makes a path of sand, so the stomping of their feet makes no noise. Evelyn Abbott, the mother, played by Emily Blunt, Krasinski’s real wife, is pregnant. The most suspenseful part was Evelyn giving birth. She knew if she screamed the monsters would hunt her down. Her terrified screams grew louder and louder, at this point the family knew she was in trouble and needed to save her. Lee creates a plan that will keep his wife safe. At the same time she screams, they’ll set of an explosive so the creatures are more attracted to the louder sound.

The whole movie is silent, with only a few sudden sounds. To communicate the cast uses sign language. For some this may be annoying, never really hearing what is truly happening. There is closed captions on the screen to understand what they’re saying through sign language however, for some it’s easier to interpret when it is being heard. Some may enjoy the film being silent, as it creates a more mysterious affect. Lee and Evelyn have three children: Regan (Millicent Simmonds), Marcus (Noah Jupe), and Beau (Cade Woodward), are the Abbott family. Krasinski decided to cast a deaf actress, Millicent Simmonds. He did this because Simmonds was able to teach the whole cast sign language on set. This really shows emotion, since the fear and despair cannot be heard through words but, through facial expressions. Simmonds has her own special connection with the creatures. Her hearing-aid sets off a loud beeping noise in the monster’s ears and her own. The creatures are blind but communicate with clicking sounds and sonar. This means they use echoes from close noises bouncing off other objects and back to their ears. In one scene a creature comes right behind Regan, but her hearing aid catches the man-eating monster off guard, making it run back into the corn maze because they couldn’t deal with the loud beeping noise.

The family’s connection during the movie really portrays how the Abbotts would do anything for the ones they love. John Krasinski does an amazing job throughout the movie. He shows so much emotion, anyone watching can truly see the hardship they’re going through. He plays a huge role and does an astonishing job. One part Krasinski realizes he must protect his kids so, he goes to the corn maze and finds a creature about to get his kids. Lee tries to attract the monsters away to save his family. His emotions show how he has no fear and cares about the ones he loves. Emily Blunt does outstanding work as well. Her emotion makes everyone feel the fear she is going through. At one point she is walking down loud creaky stairs, when she steps on a nail. She can’t make a sound, minutes later she goes into labor and still cannot make a sound. Her emotion without words make the whole theater feel what’s happening at that time. Millicent Simmonds being a deaf actress, really shows the struggle throughout the movie. At one point she and Marcus fall into a grain silo. When they’re in here one of the creatures finds them. Regan protects her brother by using the hearing-aid to create a buzzing noise in the monster’s ear and pulls them away. Her expressions make it seem like she can hear exactly what’s happening. During the film Noah Jupe, does a great job showing fear throughout the movie. Lee makes him travel out with him to get food. When they see an old guy, whose wife has just been killed by the creatures. The guy screams drawing a monster towards him. Marcus and Lee had to sprint to get away. He overcomes the fear throughout the movie and turns into a strong character.

This movie is a must see, the emotions the cast displays are amazing. There is so much suspenseful energy you’ll want to watch to find out if the whole family can survive this quiet epidemic.