Filed under Sports

Lenoir-Rhyne University: baseball, softball powerhouse

This is one of the bear statues located on the Lenoir-Rhyne campus. It was donated by the football captains of the 1973 and 1975 teams.

Are you looking to travel to a good college? Then Lenoir-Rhyne University could be a fit for you. This university has outstanding baseball and softball programs. Lenoir-Rhyne is a division two school located in Hickory, North Carolina. They focus on both academics and sports which makes their students successful. LR has over 50 undergraduate majors and nearly 30 graduate programs. Another thing to consider when choosing a college is the campus, and LR has a very nice one. 

The campus at Lenoir-Rhyne is not too big, which means it’s a good place to walk around. The campus contains many statues of players for every sport. They are all very realistic and are spread throughout the entire campus. LR’s mascot  is a bear, so the campus has many statues of them. Besides the statues, there are cafes where students can eat or study. Everywhere on the campus is easily accessible and overall it is a beautiful sight. 

This bear statue is located near a road and is a great photo spot. It is carved out of the stump of a tree and was done by one person.

Lenoir-Rhyne athletics are thriving, especially the softball team. Head coach, Shena Hollar has been with the Bears for 18 full seasons, going onto her 19th this year. Hollars’ record with this team is currently 742-251-2, which is a winning percentage of .747. Hollar is an outstanding coach and a very nice person. She is open to having conversations with students in high school looking to go to Lenoir-Rhyne for softball. She will answer any questions about her program or the college. According to the official site of Lenoir-Rhyne, Hollar is “easily the school’s all-time winningest coach.” Hollar obviously knows how to manage a team well and is a big part in the Bears’ success in softball.  

Another sport that is doing very well is the Lenoir-Rhyne baseball team. They have a current record of 26-19. That is a winning percentage of .578. Head coach, Tom Fleenor, is in his fifth year with the Bears. He has led the team to winning records and playoff berths, which hadn’t happened in a while. The Bears recruit many all-star players that have potential to make it to the Major Leagues. In 2016, Matthew De La Rosa, the Bears third baseman, was signed by the Baltimore Orioles to a minor league deal. Since Fleenor came to Lenoir-Rhyne, the Bears started their success in baseball which will hopefully continue in years to come. 

Lenoir-Rhyne could be the right place for anyone when choosing a college. The academics aspect of the school is most important, but their athletics come next. Every team is succeeding, while students are still getting good grades. The beautiful campus tops it off to be the perfect fit for anyone.