Filed under Sports

Freshmen hit the ball towards a varsity spot

Dakota Pitts, freshman varsity pitcher, has been pitching since she was nine years old. She has been playing softball since she was about four years old.

The Patterson Mill Huskies Varsity softball team has watched others players strive for their position on the team since tryouts. They have worked hard and learned the fundamentals to be a better player. Coach Jeff Horton, head coach, has had the chance to recruit freshman Dakota Pitts, Maddie Buher, Caroline Michaels, and Allie Cichocki to play with them in the upcoming future season.

Dakota Pitts, varsity pitcher, has been excited all year for softball tryouts. When finding out that she made varsity, she was “ very excited and ready for the season to begin.” Dakota has felt very accepted and said that, “ The hardest thing has been the pressure because I have been playing a lot and have been in big situations.” She has been very amazed by how her team works so well together and treats each other in practice and games. Dakota believes that freshmen should be able to be on varsity if, “they put in the work and effort to achieve the spot.” Dakota advises players to, “work hard to get what they want, but if they don’t try hard enough or put in any effort, you won’t get anywhere.”

Maddie Buher, varsity catcher, believes that if players put in the work and outplay players as well as being able to play with people at your own level of talent, than anyone should be able to have the opportunity to be on varsity. Maddie has felt very welcomed and said, “ All of the upperclassmen and returning varsity players were happy to have me and the other three freshman on the team.” Maddie also said that, “As a team, we get along great and have gotten very close.” She has been playing on a competitive softball team for most of her softball experience and has been enjoying playing with everyone so far.

Coach Jeff had a tough decision choosing his players this year, but overall made a smart decision. Patterson Mill’s varsity softball team has had an amazing journey so far this season  by winning almost all of their games. His players are excited to keep playing and achieving their goals of working hard with each other, fielding correctly, and having good communication between the players on the field. Coach Jeff brings the best to the team and is ready for whatever the season brings them in the future.

Mitch Lebovic
Maddie Buher, freshman varsity catcher, has been catching since she was five years old. Maddie has been playing on a competitive team for almost her entire experience.