Footloose entertains audience and brings together cast

Patterson Mill’s rendition of Footloose was scheduled for March first, second and third, but an unexpected snow caused the show to be canceled and rescheduled for the following weekend. Even though the show was delayed, the musical didn’t exactly match the movie, but the audience still received the eighties rush that most teens today crave and most adults want back. It was enjoyable and fun to watch. 

I’m not the only one who agrees that Footloose was a spectacular play. Emily Marziale, an eleventh grader and a first-time actress in a Patterson Mill play, says, “I think the the show went very well. Not only did everything run smoothly on stage, but backstage I know we all grew really close and it was like working with a family.” 

Footloose is the story of a teenager named Ren McCormac, a city boy, and his family moving into a town that prohibits dancing. He immediately falls for Ariel, a rebellious girl, whose father is the Reverend and her boyfriend is overly jealous. He also befriends Willard. He and his classmates want to throw a dance, but they are all afraid of the Reverend, the man who is pushing the no dancing rule. Ren decides he’s going to fight for it. 

For starters, Nick Vach, who played Willard, did an outstanding job bringing the character to life. He was full of energy and didn’t sound canned or over rehearsed. You could understand every word that he was saying, which was a problem at times during the play with other roles.  His character was also very believable, and adolescent audience members could relate widely with Willard when it came to him and his awkward love life.  

Set designs were interesting and were another factor in making the show believable. The Barb-B-Que set during the scene where they all went out dancing was an amazing set. The lighting allowed you to see everything that was important. The spotlight showed the character who was speaking or singing, and you could also tell when its nighttime or daytime. Costumes were very stereotypical and represented each character. Ren’s leather jacket showed that he was a bad boy, and Willard’s overalls show he was a southern boy.