Filed under World News

Seniors catch some rays and waves

Seniors excitedly glare at  computer screens trying to decide which beach and hotel to stay at for senior week.  Kevin Levine, Michael Barnes, Dimitri Robinson, Gavin Ward, Duy Nguyen

Seniors excitedly glare at computer screens trying to decide which beach and hotel to stay at for senior week. Kevin Levine, Michael Barnes, Dimitri Robinson, Gavin Ward, Duy Nguyen

A one day prank at Hawkens School, Ohio in 2008-2009, escalated into an entire week of pranks which is now known as Senior Week. Paw Prints wants to let students know that Senior Week is a joyful farewell they should all experience.

According to Wikipedia, Senior Week is a week where currently graduating high schoolers or college students go to a beach to have fun with friends. Senior Week occurs around May and June and the beaches during this time are very populated. Seniors use this week as a time to go out and celebrate with friends. Lots of students are upset that heading off to college means separation from friends, but this week is a good way to make lasting memories together before graduation. The week of fun and responsibility is a great way for students to experience adulthood away from their parents.

Due to summer-like weather, seniors mostly enjoy spending the week vacation at a beach or some type of resort. Wikipedia suggested the top destinations such as, Dewey Beach, Myrtle Beach, Ocean City, Virginia Beach, and South Carolina. So far, this tradition only applies to the eastern and southern coasts. On the online websites, oceancity.com and theodyssey.com, suggest that Senior Week is an amusing thing to experience because there will not be an appearance of overbearing parents, there is so much do to, it is the last hurrah with your friends before graduation, a time to recall memories, and it is a wonderful celebration for 18 years well-done.

“I plan on going on swimming at the beach and going to the boardwalk with my friends,” says Michael Hagepanos who’s going to Ocean City for Senior Week. Megan Hall explains why “senior week is a fun time, but dangerous because of drugs and alcohol. But if you’re smart and safe, you’ll most definitely just have fun.” The crowded streets and beaches full of people can come with many risks, so it’s important to be aware of your surroundings so Senior Week can be a positive experience. Both Michael and Megan are looking forward to Senior Week, but they have differing opinions on the end of school. Michael is looking forward to “becoming an independent adult and living the college life,” while Megan is “more upset because a huge part of my life is ending and it’s all I know.”

Megan is planning on going to Ocean City with her friends: Abbey Thoner, Grace Wizneski, Leah Chapman, and Jordan Dawson. Michael is headed to the beach with his friends: Thomas Kragh, Ryan Iacaruso, Josh Hutchinson, and Josh Rosling. Graduates spending a week at the beach has been a great tradition for Maryland and has made students very happy. Paw Prints hopes to persuade upperclassmen to safely take this time to soak up a little sun for the celebration of the end of an era.