The take on photography class

Olivia Peter's CYOA project

Olivia Peter's CYOA project

Olivia Peter's CYOA project

The photography class at Patterson Mill, taught by Craig Llewellyn, is an excellent class to not only improve photo taking skills, but see the world in a different way. This class consists of exciting and interpretive assignments, giving students’ freedom to express themselves, and involves learning in more depth how to take more appealing photos.

Megan Hall – Youth of the Nation

Photography involves many creative and different assignments, leaving students room for their own interpretation. “My favorite project was the 28 day challenge,” Claire Olson (12) says, “Mr. Llewellyn gave us 28 song titles and we took a picture every day. I learned so much from this unit because it was outside of my comfort zone.”

The assignments given in photography allow students to think outside of the box and challenge themselves, while also expressing themselves and learning how to improve. Claire continued, saying, “In photography class, Mr. Llewellyn gives the class a unit. We then do research on the unit and get to take pictures ourselves. At the end of the unit, we do a class critique where we get to see what everyone else has been working on.” The class is very interactive and allows students to share their work with their peers, providing students with room to improve after every assignment.

Anthony Sulinski – Place

Before taking photography, many students may feel as though the class is simple and easy. In reality, photography requires a lot of skills and practice. There are many rules that must be applied when taking any photo. Students who take photography will learn how to make their photos as visibly appealing as possible and receive rules that will ensure improvement in the quality of their photos. Although photography is more complicated than one might think, there’s a challenge within each unit and students can explore and learn the best way to take photos.

Hailey Simmons CYOA

With photo based social media, Mr. Llewellyn said that photo taking skills may become more essential and learning those skills may become more beneficial. He also said that the class is growing dramatically and he brought up the three class sequence a student may take throughout high school: Photography 1, Advanced Photography, and AP 2-D design. He says that the class aims to sharpen camera skills, learn composition, of course take better photos but most importantly, observe the world with a different perspective.

Claire Olson – 28 day challenge assignment

“If anyone was on the fence about taking any photography class I would say 100% you should take it,” Claire says, “Photography is a great class that will help you look at the world in a different way. You learn to appreciate the details.” Photography is a great way to appreciate the things around you and become more aware of the beauty. The class will help open student’s eyes to beauty in things they never would have looked at twice. The class is beneficial in more ways than one, allowing students to express themselves, understanding complications of taking a photo, and bettering their photography skills. Photography is an excellent way to capture the beauty in the world around you and may appeal to students who are interested in admiring their surroundings.

1 Comment

One Response to “The take on photography class”

1. Olivia Peters on May 15th, 2018 6:36 pm

WOW! This is awesome!! Thank you for advertising the art of photography! You all rock

*

• The take on photography class

Spring strings: 2018 spring orchestra concert

• The take on photography class

Senior band members taken by “River of Life”

• The take on photography class

Tri-M: Serving the school one note at a time

• The take on photography class

Art show showcases school’s true colors

• The take on photography class

Senior Scenes draws curtain on 2018 drama productions

• Arts & Entertainment

The art of learning to draw

• The take on photography class

Taurus and Gemini need to be cautious in May

• Arts & Entertainment

Footloose entertains audience and brings together cast

• The take on photography class

Ms. C expanding creativity in her class and beyond

• The take on photography class

The Rockin’ 80’s Return

The take on photography class