Art show showcases school’s true colors

Mrs. C sorts through all the student work, in order to make sure all art students have at least one piece featured. Each art piece featured had to be matted, tagged and hung, a process that takes weeks.

Grace Tasel

Grace Tasel

The art show on May 17 at Patterson Mill High School is an important tradition to students, artistic and otherwise. The Art Show allows students to be acknowledged and proud of the work they have created. Mrs. Santo-Comoglio or Mrs. C, the high school art teacher says the show “grows [the art program] into a family or community of art.” The free admission show will feature many different students and skills, including art from middle school to advanced studio classes. Art is lined down the main front hallway and a black box in the front, with all different classes and grades are displayed next to each other in gallery format. However the art show will do more than show art, it will be a display the hard work the Patterson Mill art teachers put into their students.

“The [Curriculum] tells us what to teach but [the art teachers] are the ones who put all of this together, when you see the art show you get to see the connections between the students and teachers.” Mrs. C explains to Paw Prints. There are many people working hard to create this art show, including the art teachers. This show there will be two new teachers working on the show, Mrs. Bucklin, and Mrs. C. Mr.Lewellyn, the photography teacher will also be working on the show. According to Mrs. Adams, the art department chairperson and the art teachers come together during department meetings and discuss and plan the art show as a team. Students stayed after school to help set up for the art show, hanging up art on the many cork boards in the hallway. As much art as possible was fit onto these boards from all the teachers. Each teacher will be submitting art from each of their classes, in order to include as many students and as many levels as possible. None of the same type of artwork is placed next to each other. Photography, VSCON, sculpture, paintings, drawings and fashion are all mixed together. Each student is honored in a different way, since all the work is unique from others.

Through the midst of sporting events, pep rallies and practices, the art department is honored in this show. Gwen Wenck, a ninth grader who can’t be seen without a sketch book, believes the art show allows students other than to get recognized, “[The art show] makes me feel a sense of reassurance that the great artists in our school are being recognized. Its very important that not only our athletes are being recognized but our artists too.” Young artists from all levels are featured in the art show; this allows students to be able to see what they can accomplish in the future as they continue down the art pathway. It can also encourage others to join the art program. Gwen says the art show displays, “the importance of art in our society. Art is something that [helps students] express themselves and can help a lot of them get through hard times.” A community of people who appreciate art can come together, become inspired, and see their own work in a new way. It’s also exciting to see how the students improved over the course of the class. Aimee Wilson, 9th grade fine art prep student says, “I am proud of my art that I have made this year. I’ve never been a great artist but I have worked hard and my art has improved.” Students are able to see their growth and be proud of their art. Onlookers are able to enjoy the talent of the Patterson Mill art department among friends and family.

The County Art show, like the Patterson Mill art show creates a family of art, but among Harford County and the students. This show takes place at the A. Roberty Building gallery building on Courtland Street, before the faculty art show.  The county art show displays the “Students progress among the county, based on their demographics such as age, where they live, what level they are.” Mrs. C explains. The county show also gives a look into what the other teachers are working on with their students. The show not only celebrate the students, but also what the teachers behind it all do, too. The show will contain a few pieces for each school, to make a full show. Many local government officials will be at the show, some art gets selected to get hung up in their offices. The County art show lasts from May 7 2018- September 2018, with a reception after on May 16. The show is open at any time to go through, the art is lined down all hallways.  It’s an amazing honor to be featured in this show and the artists have a way to be involved with local events outside of the school.

The art show allows students to fully realizes their talent and see the school come together over art. With the hard work of the teachers and students, the art show presents new opportunities and a celebration of the students at Patterson Mill. Not only are just one type of art are shown, all art middle school through seniors are featured. The art show makes sure everyone feels honored for their hard work no matter the age, skill or type of art.

Grace Tasel
Autumn Lidke poses with her black and white portrait. Students like these spent the art show painting landscapes, as a live painting demonstration.