Filed under Sports

Making softball history, banner goal finally achieved

Back to Article
Back to Article

The seniors on senior night against Harford Tech. The Huskies received a 14-5 win over the Cobras. (Megan Whiteford, Kaylie Kitchens, Leah Dubois, Sarah Dinatale, Abby Laurentius, Lacey Breeden, Katie Williams, and Grace Damico).

Mitch Lebovic

Mitch Lebovic

Mitch Lebovic

The Huskies softball team had an outstanding year, finishing the season 15-4. The team won the division for the first time at Patterson Mill, with a very young team considering there were no juniors on the team. Seven of nine in the starting lineup were sophomores or freshmen. Everyone in the starting lineup contributed to run production by getting on base or driving runs in. The team worked very well together to earn 15 wins for the season. 

Huskies’ softball performance has been average in the past, winning about 50% of the time.  Their goal had been to win the division, which means they will receive a banner in the high school gym. Their goal was finally accomplished this season because of heart, hustle, and tremendous efforts by the whole team. The Huskies also received the second seed in their region for playoffs. Their first game against the Joppatowne Mariners went very well, beating them 14-4, for a 5-inning slaughter. Their second game in the playoffs was against the very tough Perryville team. The Perryville Panthers came to the Huskies’ home field for the regional semi-final. The Huskies were fired up for this game because the Panthers were complaining about a “terrible” field even though it was very playable. After about an hour of complaining, the game began. It was a pitchers duel throughout the game since it was scoreless until the fifth inning. In the fifth inning the Panthers got the bases loaded with no outs. The next two batters struck out, but the third became very lucky. She hit a slicing fly ball to right field that clearly looked like a foul ball. The umpire called it fair, which scored the Panthers’ three runs for the game. Donna Pitts (fan of the Huskies), who was right behind home plate saw the play and said, “The ball was four feet foul. The umpires are blind.” Everyone watching agreed with her which created debate about whether the outcome of the game was fair or not. The game would have been scoreless through seven innings, but the umpires calls cost them the game. The Huskies lost this game 3-0 on controversial calls by umpires. 

Even though the ending of their season didn’t go as planned, the Huskies had a strong offense and defense, along with great pitching throughout the season. The team batted .351 which is a very high average in softball. Six out of nine starters had a batting average of over .300, the highest being .556. The exceptional batting averages led the Huskies to high run production, scoring 175 runs in 116 innings. The offense was backed up by a good defense. The defense fielded at a .940 average, making very few errors and made diving plays. To top off the team, the Huskies pitching was stellar. Three pitchers combined for a 1.87 earned run average. This made wins easier to come by, since the pitchers, on average gave up less than two runs per game.  Players were all very pleased by the overall tremendous effort by the team over the course of the season. 

Katie Keech (10) was the team’s shortstop and third baseman. Katie said, “The season has been very fun and successful. It was a great season and I loved every minute of it.” Katie was a big part of the Huskies’ success because she made big plays or came up with big hits. Next season she hopes to beat Perryville and C. Milton Wright because of the two tough losses to them. Regarding winning the division, Katie said, “It felt amazing. Our hard work and effort paid off and we finally received the banner for Huskies softball!” Katie spoke out for the team because everyone felt this way about the special season. 

Sophomore, Katie Keech set before the pitch. This game was a very cold and windy day but the Huskies came out on top for a win over the Edgewood Rams.

Coming off the best season Patterson Mill softball has ever had; the Huskies are still looking to improve next season to win the division and the region. Although seven seniors (Lacey Breeden, Grace Damico, Sarah Dinatale, Leah Dubois, Abby Laurentius, Kaylie Kitchens, Megan Whiteford and Katie Williams) will not return next season, the team will still be strong. The team also wishes the seniors best of luck in college and are glad they had the experience to play with them. The Huskies softball had a great bond and more importantly became a family.