Filed under School Community

There’s no need to fret at Open Mic Night

Mrs. C, her two sons, Jared Elchik (12), and Mr. Llewelyn get on stage to perform

Mrs. C, her two sons, Jared Elchik (12), and Mr. Llewelyn get on stage to perform "You Are My Sunshine." Many students go out to enjoy a chill, relaxed night at Open Mic Night and to support their classmates.

The rainbow-colored lights illuminate the performers as they ready themselves for the stage on May 9th, leaving the crowd to sit in quiet anticipation as they await to hear the talent that their schoolmates had to show. This mood changed from anticipation to “really laid-back and supportive,” as freshman Shannon Malloy said. Open Mic Night was created for the students to express themselves, whether that be through singing, playing an instrument, or any other talents. Students come out to support their friends and classmates.

To kick off the night, Mr. Llewelyn performed, saying that he usually performed first because he wanted to “break the ice,” and hopefully encourage others to sign up. Many singing acts followed, all of which were just as spectacular and stellar as the next. One of the big vocal performances of the night had been by Anders Streibich (11), who sang “Sarah Smiles” as a promposal and had the whole crowd saying “aw” and smiling at the love that the song gave. Brenden Gray (10) performed a guitar solo, which his brother, Carson Gray (8), created the backing track to the song. It was a very exciting act, as Brenden successfully wooed the crowd with his intense guitar playing and brought chills to those listening. Brenden says that he performed because he said that it would be “good practice” and he said that his motivation to perform had been himself. It was inspiring because a person can be their own inspiration and don’t necessarily need anybody else to influence them. There was a big performance by Sam Brosh (12) and Evan Loveless (12), who both took the stage together for a duet of drums and piano. Their music had set a calm yet upbeat vibe for the Black Box with the gentle, yet hefty beat of the drums from Evan and the upbeat and quick tapping of the piano from Sam. Their performance was uplifting and fun and made everyone listening move and sway to the beat.

Another performer of the night was by Ali Mousavi (10), who sang “Hey There Delilah” by the Plain White Tees. He says that he performed this song because “it speaks to me. I feel like it’s a very emotional song and an easy one to perform [and I] feel like it’s a good song to perform in front of people for the first time…and a lot of people connect to it.” He went on to say that before he performed that he “wasn’t nervous, like scared, it was just like butterflies.” This was also the first time that Ali had performed solo on stage, which was a last-minute decision. Despite this, he did a spectacular job and hit the notes with accuracy and had made it sound like he had performed it multiple times before.

Another big group performance had been by Anders Streibich (11), Connor Streibich (10), and Dominic Nelson (11). They had performed “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder, with Anders singing and playing bass, Dominic playing the guitar, and Conner playing the piano and melodica. The crowd absolutely adored this performance by the group, and each time that Conner stood up and played a solo on the melodica the whole crowd cheered and went crazy for him. Everyone had been very supportive of the group and showed lots of love for the three students, as well as the other performances.

As the night was wrapping up, Jared Elchik (12) encouraged Mrs. C’s kids to go on stage with him to perform “You Are My Sunshine.” Mrs. C’s youngest son was nervous and held onto his mother as his older brother danced, which had made the crowd laugh fondly. Jared Elchik continuously encouraged Mrs. C’s youngest son to join in with the singing, but he didn’t give in and sat on his mother’s lap for the remainder of the song. Mr. Llewelyn joined in with the group, tapping gently away at a bucket to create a gentle beat and he too tried to spur some movement into Mrs. C’s son, though still proved unsuccessful. Eventually, the whole crowd was joining in with the song and sang every word softly, creating a gentle mood and bringing everyone together.

Open Mic Night was an outstanding success and each student that performed was given a great opportunity to show their musical talents in a judgement-free zone. The students of Patterson Mill are excited for more Open Mic Nights to come. As Ali Mousavi states, “it was overall a good experience and I look forward to doing it again.”