Filed under School Community

Students are ready to soak up the sun

Logan+Beaty+%289%29%2C+with+her+cousins+and+sister+last+summer+in+Ontario%2C+Canada.+They+had+just+went+to+a+festival+celebrating+Canadian+history+and+culture.+
Logan Beaty (9), with her cousins and sister last summer in Ontario, Canada. They had just went to a festival celebrating Canadian history and culture.

Students look forward to summer for lots of reasons, one of which is the exciting vacations they get to take. Many of Patterson Mill’s students are traveling abroad this year to places like Mexico, Norway, Canada, and Holland. They get to experience different aspects of the culture, like cuisine, daily activities, language, and more.

Summer break is a time for most students to sleep in, swim at the community pool, eat ice cream, and hang out with friends. Although these are all fun things, people start to get bored with them after doing them every day for weeks. One of the great ways to take advantage of time off is to go on a summer trip and visit a new city. This year, many Patterson Mill students are traveling internationally to tour some beautiful towns like Cancun, Oslo, Ontario, and more.

Noah Harley (9), is taking a one week trip to Cancun, Mexico right after school lets out in late June. There are many things he is excited for, like the warm waters and finding seashells along the beaches. Noah will get the unique opportunity to experience the culture by taking Spanish lessons and eating at a variety of authentic Mexican restaurants. He and his family will also spend time on outdoor activities like, “snorkeling, tennis, volleyball, aqua aerobics, and swimming in the white sand beaches.” During his downtime, Noah plans on playing bingo, ping pong, and singing karaoke. Although this will be his first time in Mexico, Noah has traveled to Guatemala twice before on a mission’s trip to build an orphanage.

Emma Kvandahl with her brother in Oslo, Norway when she was a young child. She always spends a lot of time outdoors enjoying the scenery.

Emma Kvandahl, a freshman at Patterson is excited to travel back to Oslo, Norway for her third time. Visiting her grandparents is always the highlight of her trip, but she also likes the mountains and beautiful scenery. Emma will be enjoying her stay for a long three weeks in July, and says she is “excited to try new foods” and experience the cuisine, which consists mostly of fish and poultry. Some dishes native to Norway include fiskesuppe, a fish soup, and gravlaks, a type of salmon filet.

Evening sunset in Oslo, Norway a few years ago. This was photographed by Emma Kvandahl last time she visited Norway.

Logan Beaty (9) will also be revisiting her family, only in Ontario, Canada. Staying in a cozy cottage with her parents, sister, aunt and uncle, cousins, and grandparents, Logan is looking forward to a relaxing vacation. She will be spending two weeks in August in Ontario hanging outside in the backyard with her family and doing outdoor activities. Ordinary daily activities include swimming and boating at the floating dock. Logan also loves indulging in Canadian treats like poutine (french fries with cheese curds and gravy), Beaver Tails (fried dough pastries topped with sweet confections), and Canadian bacon.

Similar to many other students, Julianna Brooks (9) is also traveling internationally this summer to the Netherlands. She will be leaving in early July to stay 2 weeks with her family in Nijmegen. Unlike in the US, cars are not used much, but biking is much more common. Julianna plans on bike riding to markets and viewing the beautiful scenery. In the Netherlands, physical activity is very popular, like Vierdaagse, an annual four day march that people from many different countries attend. A popular Dutch treat that Julianna loves is pofferjes: small and fluffy pancakes served with powdered sugar and butter.

Freshman Sasha Nabiyeva is going back to visit Uzbekistan for 40 days. Visiting family, traveling to new cities, and going to the mountains are at the top of her priority list, but Sasha also can’t wait to go “hiking, horseback riding, biking, swimming, and rock jumping.”  She is excited to try new foods, but also to have her favorite ones again like Uzbek naan (type of bread), osh (seasoned lamb and rice), shashlik (meat skewers), and other traditional foods. Another thing Sasha is looking forward to is visiting amusement parks in Uzbekistan.

Vacationing to new cities is one of the highlights of summer break and is a great way to spend all the free time. Traveling brings so many new foods to try, outdoor activities, and fun places to visit. From Mexico, to Norway, to the Netherlands, Patterson Mill students will definitely be experiencing new culture and having a fun-filled summer break.