Filed under Sports

Track and Field members run off to UCBAC

Kassie Cucchiella had just been passed the baton by Alyssa Levitt. They were participating in the 4 x 4 relay and their meet had been at Patterson Mill, against Fallston and Havre de Grace.

Mitch Lebovic

Patterson Mill has an amazing track and field team. The athletes give it their all and the coaches are very determined. Even within that group we have phenomenal runners who get to participate in the UCBAC Track and Field event. Ken MacLaughlin, the high jump and pole vault coach along with Noah Harley and Kassie Cucchiella, two track and field members give some insight.

To start off, UCBAC stands for Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference. It is like the playoffs in the sense of it being the final event. Some sports that have this competition are wrestling, football, and track. The best athletes from their school and the area go to this competition and try to reach their fastest time, for their personal event.

Noah Harley, a ninth grade student who went to the UCBAC competition said he “did it to have fun and be with [his] friends.” He would “just walk around” with his friends when they weren’t competing because “the stands weren’t amazing, but the location was nice.” This is Noah’s first year doing it and he has enjoyed it. He was excited when he was asked to go to UCBAC.

Kassie Cucchiella, another ninth grade student has been very open-minded about trying track. She believes that “even though [she] did work hard, there were others who would make that meet and be successful.” Since she is a freshman and “[her] athleticism is more aggressive and competitive,” she is fine not going to UCBAC.

Coach Ken MacLaughlin said “the best part of the whole event is watching the students because they all have great attitude and are very sportsman-like.” Plus, “they always stay positive. They could be in last place, and there would still be a smile on everyone’s face.” He has coached track and field for several years, for Patterson Mill and with other schools and said “this was one of the best years he has ever coached. All the students are polite and have very good manners, plus they all want to improve, and that is what every coach is looking for; the desire to improve.”

The UCBAC competition is fun if you go, but it can be a challenge to get into especially if you are competing against amazing athletes from your school and other schools.