Filed under Sports

Girls Varsity Lacrosse Team checks winning the State Championship off their to-do list

Girls Varsity Lacrosse team (Sarah Duff, Elise Alders, Kaley Thompson, Bethany Bruck, Maggie Egan, Faith Treptow, Olivia Beil, Julianna Barco,Delaney Madsen, Michaela Reid and Kate Springer) wins the state Championship against Boonsboro on Tuesday, May 22nd. After nine years, the girls put in their all and took home the gold.

Mitch Lebovic

Mitch Lebovic

The girls varsity lacrosse team wins the state championship title on Tuesday, May 23rd at Stevenson University with a crushing 12-5 score over Boonsboro. The team was ready to win that title so they put their determination to work and that’s exactly what they did.

This team has put in hard work on and off the field. After their loss against C. Milton Wright, Senior Juliana Barco states “we did not want to continue like that… at the end of the game we all sat down and spoke about how we potentially had 5 more games to go and whether we wanted to play 5 more or 1 more was up to us.” From that day forward, they identified their weaknesses and what needed improvement and put all of their time and heart into every minute of every practice by working on shooting skills, speed and agility, defensive plays, and bonding activities. After every practice the girls would hold team meetings where they would pour their thoughts and ideas out openly for the girls to better understand how they feel and create a more positive atmosphere to bring them all closer together creating memories that will last a lifetime.

Like all teams, these girls had to go through the worst to get to the best. “It wasn’t always easy, it took a lot to stay so positive even after a few losses, but with a team like these girls, nothing could break us down,” said freshman varsity player Delaney Madsen. With every loss came an even bigger and better win, whether it was a lesson learned, stronger bond or even the best of memories made, the girls always found a way to keep it positive and lift each other back up as sophomore Michaela Reid says, “These girls are like family. I don’t know what I would do without them. It’s like having a bunch of sisters by your side no matter what.” When it came time to walk out onto that field, the girls were anything but nervous for this game. These girls were ready, determined, and eager for that trophy and they were “more prepared than ever to give it their all,” says Delaney Madsen. And in the end, they put everything on the line and met those goals.

After nine years and one unforgettably amazing season, the girls won the title they have been so eager for, and not only did they win it, they earned it. With everything these girls have done on and off the field it is no surprise to see they came this far. These girls may have to kiss their seniors goodbye this year, but the memories, lessons and love will carry on forever as Juliana Barco says, “I will always remember the feeling of being on the field with those girls, the excitement and tears of joy… that is something no one can ever take away from you.” Goodbye is never forever for these girls, this moment will be passed on for generations to come.