Filed under School Community

Annual World Cup

Senorita+Breen%27s+period+3a+Spanish+class+plays+soccer+for+the+World+Cup+service+learning+fundraiser.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Annual World Cup

Senorita Breen's period 3a Spanish class plays soccer for the World Cup service learning fundraiser.

The Annual World Cup fundraiser takes place every spring here at Patterson Mill. Students raise money in support of a organization or foundation and, this year, Patterson Mill decided that all funds will be donated to Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in honor of Lacey Breeden, a senior here at Patterson Mill. This year’s event supports the children receiving care at Johns Hopkins as well as their families. This service learning fundraiser allows students to help improve the lives of others in the community, while participating in a cultural event. 

This year, the world language class teachers chose to put together a fundraiser for Johns Hopkins Children’s Center. Johns Hopkins was founded in 1912 and according to hopkinsmedicine.org has 92,000 patient visits and 9,000 admissions each year. To support this center and its patients, students brought in money from April 16-May 2. Each class represented a certain country based on the language of their class and they compete to see who raises the greatest amount of money to donate. When it’s time for the soccer tournament, the team that raised the most amount of money gets an automatic point lead. Students are encouraged to make their own t-shirts representing their country and are prepared to play soccer for the duration of the period. Students celebrate the fundraiser by participating in world culture while having fun and supporting their community.  

Choosing to fund Johns Hopkins Children’s Center was influenced by the fact that our own senior, Lacey Breeden is having treatment at this center. Lacey was diagnosed with cancer earlier this school year, and she shared how dealing with cancer may be difficult at times, but overall has brought a lot of good into her life. “As I go through this process and fight my battle, I feel myself getting mentally stronger each day. As awful of a thing cancer is, it has taught me a lot about my life and to truly live every second of every day to the fullest,” she said. As one may suspect, going through such a journey may limit some activities, Lacey expresses that she won’t let this keep her from living her life to its fullest, “I have been coping really well by trying to stay as busy as I can on the days that I feel well enough. I have my days where things are really hard, but for the most part I try to stay active by going to school softball games, hanging with friends, and going to the gym,” she said. Lacey also expresses that she was not expecting so much overwhelming support from everyone within the community, such as the World Cup service learning event, or even just students at Patterson Mill that help her along her journey.  

As of May 18, the donations reached over $2,400 and continued to grow even after the World Cup service learning event. Señorita Breen, Spanish teacher here at Patterson Mill describes the importance of this service learning event, “We want students to understand the great impact of coming together to help the community. A few dollars or some change can make a difference,” she said. Señorita Breen also explains the outcome and effects that the fundraising has on the community, “The donations will help with everyday activities in order to make life as normal as possible during very difficult times,” she said.  The donations are staying within the community to help children going through treatment and their families during their journey. Señorita Breen continues to explain the importance that even a little donation can make, and the importance of each donation, as she says, “We have donated sporting equipment on the global level along with raising money on the national and local level as well as raising money to help an individual PMHS student.” This goes to show how each donation makes a huge impact, globally, locally, and individually no matter how big or little one may donate. She also says, “With all of the technology available to us, we want students to understand that they are part of a global community and can come together for a worthy cause.” Service learning events/fundraisers allow students to put aside all other differences and come together to support one honorable cause.  

This annual service learning event raising money for Johns Hopkins Children’s Hospital in honor of Lacey Breeden, has been a great success. More than $2,400 has been raised and will be used to help children and their families in such a difficult time. This fundraiser also allows students to unify and help an honorable cause while supporting culture and having a good time.