Filed under World News

Harry and Meghan; A royal fairy tale wedding

After dating for six months, Harry and Meghan tied the knot on May 19th. They were married at St. George's Chapel.

The highly anticipated Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has happened. This $44.9 million wedding had fans of the royal family excited to see how everything looks for this extravagant wedding.

Meghan Markle is an actress born in Los Angeles, California. She was a main character on Suits since 2011, but left the show in November 2017 since she was moving to the United Kingdom to marry Harry. Meghan Markle, 36, and Prince Harry, 33, met on a blind date in July 2016. They’ve been known for their PDA, considering as royals they are told to avoid that. They announced their engagement on November 27, 2017, with their wedding date set as May 19, 2018.

Fans of the royal family have many speculations of what will happen in the wedding. Meghan’s engagement ring has one diamond from Botswana and two from Princess Diana’s collection. One diamond in Meghan’s ring is from Botswana because the couple has travelled there together and Botswana is the second highest producer of conflict-free diamonds, which means that the diamond is eco-friendly. Harry and Meghan sent out 600 invites to their wedding to take place in St. George’s Chapel. Claire Ptak will be making their cake while Philippa Craddock will handle the flowers.

Meghan’s wedding dress was made by Claire Waight Keller of Givenchy. The dress had a beautiful high neck, wide shoulder design that was simple yet elegant. The dress was paired with a 16.5 foot vail and a stunning diamond tiara. Meghan’s dress was highly anticipated and the quality of the dress did not disappoint. Meghan’s reception dress showed off her shoulders and was designed by Stella McCartney. Prince Charles walked Meghan down the aisle to Harry, despite normal tradition being that the bride’s father escorts the bride. Meghan’s father had been estranged to her for most of her life and did not end up even attending the wedding due to a heart problem. Of the 600 guests invited to the big day, some of the notable attendees were Oprah Winfrey, David Beckham, George Clooney, Elton John, Idris Elba, James Corden, and Serena Williams.

This wedding had no shortage of romantic moments. When Harry first saw Meghan the first thing he told her is that she looked amazing. The couple held hands for almost the length of the service. During the ceremony, the music was performed by a gospel choir that truly sounded beautiful. Just after the “I do,” cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason performed and the music continued as the exited the church. They headed into their carriage to begin the Windsor carriage ride where the streets of Windsor exclaimed for the newlyweds.

At most royal weddings, the couple waves to fans from the Buckingham Palace balcony but, since their wedding was not located in London, Harry and Meghan waved to the fans from their carriage ride through Windsor. Compared to William and Kate’s wedding in 2011, Harry and Meghan had a much more modern wedding that broke a few royal traditions like the cake being made by an American and not having a maid of honor. At the ceremony, there was an open seat next to Prince William and many speculated that the seat was open to honor the late Princess Diana but, it was simply empty so that the Queen could see the ceremony. Princess Diana was recognized through the engagement ring and the flowers that were a direct tribute to Harry’s late mother.

The marriage of Harry and Meghan was truly remarkable and broke many barriers for the modern change for the royal family. The wedding was beautiful as was the couple. Harry and Meghan are now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, their romantic wedding will hopefully lead to a lifetime of happiness.