Spring strings: 2018 spring orchestra concert

The+Patterson+Mill+High+school+performing+their+annual+spring+concert.+The+students+have+put+so+much+work+into+this+performance.+
The Patterson Mill High school performing their annual spring concert. The students have put so much work into this performance.

As spring time starts to roll around the Patterson Mill High School orchestra prepares very hard for their spring concert set to take place on May 21st. 

The songs that will be played include “Summer Dances,” “Rey’s Theme from Star Wars,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End,” “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice,” “Evermore,” and music from La La Land. Sophomore cellist Quinn Nowakowski, expresses his favoritism towards “Rey’s Theme” saying that “I love Star Wars and the rhythm is complicated, so it gives me a challenge.” Although Quinn describes “Rey’s Theme” as hard, the most difficult song for him to play is “Summer Dances,” saying that, “I get lost easily and I don’t know the notes very well.” Sophomore violinist Cordy Keely is also in agreement with Quinn adding that the fast tempo makes “Summer Dances” difficult. Cordy states that her favorite song is from Pirates of the Caribbean because of the goosebumps she gets when playing the main theme.  

The orchestra has been going through a lot of preparation for this concert. “We’ve each been practicing our songs super hard and having playing tests to ensure our success,” Cordy explains. The orchestra has recently gotten back from a trip to Boston a month ago for a competition, where they performed very well. Although they did not start practicing the songs for the concert until after Boston, it still played a big role in preparing them. According to Quinn, “Although for the Boston trip we played music we had already prepared for the previous concert, it did give us a chance to receive feedback on our performance.” With the feedback from the judges, the orchestra quickly made improvements. The feedback was taken very seriously. Intonation, cohesion, counting in difficult rhythms, and listening to one another’s parts all had room for improvement. Playing the instruments wasn’t the only thing that helped the orchestra, according to Cordy, the trip gave them a chance to bond. This is also an important part in improving. The orchestra has been improving all year and continues to do so. We are sure to see those improvements at the concert, especially since the orchestra has a great ability to respond to the feedback they receive. The concert will also give a chance to show off their best skills. Using new techniques, conveying emotion, and supporting each other are all skills that are expected to be shown throughout the concert. 

The orchestra opened with a strong start playing “Rey’s Theme” as their first piece. Their second piece was “Evermore,” and their third piece was “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.” The final song played by the regular orchestra was music from La La Land. Every year the seniors get to choose a song to play at the final concert. They chose music from La La Land and this song was dedicated to them. There is a total of eight seniors in the orchestra this year. These include Tom Brosh, Sam Brosh, Kyna Chen, Chloe Fong, Ally Hudak, Kelly Hudak, Nicole Kwok, and Ali Leary.  

After the orchestra played their songs, Ms. Romano the instructor had given out a couple awards. The first award handed out was the Director’s award. This award was given to freshman Christine Kim for her outstanding initiative, her ability to go above and beyond and her willingness to help everyone. She had learned a solo in just three rehearsals that she had to perform in Boston and did an outstanding job. The second award which was handed out was the National School Orchestra award. This award recognizes outstanding contribution, loyalty, and cooperation. This award was given to senior Sam Brosh. The recipients of these two awards are both outstanding musicians and have both worked very hard to deserve these awards.  

After the awards were given out, the symphonic orchestra had played a couple of songs. The symphonic orchestra consists of the full orchestra and the jazz band. These songs had also required a lot of preparation and rehearsals. The jazz band and orchestra had to rehearse together. Also, the symphonic orchestra required two conductors. Ms. Romano and Mr. Burke both conducted this group. The first song the symphonic orchestra played was “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” The second and final song of the night was “Summer Dances.” 

Overall, the orchestra had an outstanding performance as expected. All their hard work, preparation, and even Boston has most definitely paid off for them. Although though the year is not over, the orchestra has started planning for next year. Their goals for next year include working together more, practicing new techniques, rhythms and counting, and enhancing their overall sound. We are very excited to see the orchestra’s improvements next year and to see them say goodbye to the seniors and welcome the new freshmen.