Graduation: Seniors see the light at the end of a long tunnel

The+class+of+2017-2018+finally+receives+their+high+school+diploma+at+Graduation+held+at+HCC.+As+Dr.+Abel+gives+his+last+fare-well+speech+to+the+kids%2C+the+students+reminisce+their+12+years++of+amazing+memories.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

The class of 2017-2018 finally receives their high school diploma at Graduation held at HCC. As Dr. Abel gives his last fare-well speech to the kids, the students reminisce their 12 years  of amazing memories.

The class of 2017-2018 finally receives their high school diploma at Graduation held at HCC. As Dr. Abel gives his last fare-well speech to the kids, the students reminisce their 12 years of amazing memories.

The 2017-2018 school year is coming to an end and seniors are on the edge of their seat waiting for May 29th to come as soon as possible.

There are many special occasions that occur on the day of graduation, such as having awards given out, key-note speakers talking to the audience and the graduating class, and a final farewell to all seniors of the 2017-2018 year. Also, the announcement of valedictorian and salutatorian will take place, which can bring lots of competition between students to get their grades up. According to Wikipedia, a valedictorian is a student, typically having the highest academic achievements of the class, who delivers the valedictory at a graduation ceremony. While a salutatory, is an academic title given to the second-highest ranked graduate of the entire graduating class. Mrs. Richardson, one of the senior class advisers, explains that, “to be qualified for the top two positions it is based off of the students GPA… probably their weighted GPA. The higher their honors classes are the higher the GPA.” These awards are traditionally presented to the students during senior awards, but again mentioned to students on graduation day.

Accompanied by the two winners, is the key-note speaker. When graduation is near, lots of people witness the excitement from the kids, and expect the teachers to be very stressed, but it is surprising to discover that from a teacher’s perspective, Mrs. Richardson says, “it is pretty relaxed, but when the kids get there it gets pretty chaotic, but HCC runs a wonderful event.”  On May 29, “Mrs. Walker and I are with the seniors the whole time. They get to mingle with each other for a good chunk of time and then, right before we line them up, and it’s like go time,” says Richardson. Unfortunately, this year, there will be no key-note speaker, but there will be a class officer speaking at graduation. In the past, when a key-note speaker was present, it was usually a student from the senior class who would present their thoughts to the senior class advisers and they would choose who they thought was the best candidate. The day of senior awards can also bring surprising scholarships and full rides for some people.

Although the teachers have a difficult decision picking the winners of these academic awards, such as scholarships and departmental awards, they are happy for all of their students for the achievements they have completed. To all the seniors, Mrs. Richardson says “good luck and congratulations to the class this year.”