Senior band members taken by “River of Life”

The percussion, the advanced band, and the symphonic band all came together at the end of the concert. They performed a song called

Abby West

The percussion, the advanced band, and the symphonic band all came together at the end of the concert. They performed a song called "River of Life"

The band has been practicing extremely hard to prepare for the spring concert on May 17th.  Mr. Burke, the band teacher, decided on the music based on what students like, what they are interested in, what is fun, and something that could have a lesson that can be portrayed in the music. First, the percussion ensemble played their songs, which were “Stretches of the Orient,” “Excalibur” and “Serengeti.” Next up, was the symphonic band, playing “Sunchasers,” “(Risk) Everything for a Dream,” “Crush,” and “For the Beauty of the Earth.” Once they finished, the next band was the advanced band, which is a group of students who have to try out for the band. They played “Nemesis,” “Thine Alabaster Cities Gleam,” “America” from West Side Story and “Joy of Life.” The last part of the concert included all members of each band, the song that they performed was “River of Life.” The jazz band will perform on Monday, May 21st, 2018.

The hardest song according to 10th grader, Kyle Cripa was “Crush” because it was faster and had harder and more complicated notes. “Crush” was also Kyle’s favorite song because it was a challenge for him. He did worry about the song “Sunchasers” because it was difficult to have the whole band keep up with the fast beat and to keep up with time. Freshman, Sydney Wine from the band said that their least favorite song was “Everything for a Dream” because it was a little challenging, but she had practiced it so much that it just wasn’t her favorite to play.

The band took a field trip to Boston and on their way they stopped by the National September 11th Memorial and Mr. Burke talked to the students and told them how this was a very important part of history, it had literally changed everyone’s lives. He said that juniors and seniors were just being born and the freshman and sophomores were not quite born yet, but families were worried about each other and they were all scared for one another. The second piece that the symphonic band played was “Thine Alabaster Cities Gleam.”  It was written as a response and reaction to 9/11 and how we need to all be there for each other and move on as stronger citizens.

There was a slide show with all the seniors who were graduating this year and what college they were going to. The seniors were Alex Concini, Sarah Duff, Hannah Farmer, Patrick Finnerty, Ryan Jeon, Jennifer Little, Evan Loveless, Jillian Moore, Abbey Thoner, Courtland Wilson, Alex Tracy, Sarah Stauffer, Emily Pascoe, Hannah Moots, Kevin Levine, Ryan Lacaruso, James Frye, Maya Enderlein, Larry Clark, Zach Buher, Marcus Dermatis, June Ikemoto, Mikayla King, Savanna London, Valeria Ortiz-Torres and Madison Wisniewski.  Four awards were given out on May 17th for the band. The 2018 Patterson Mill Patrick Gilmore award went to Natalie Burke for her outstanding effort that she puts in each day. After that, the Patterson Mill Band Booster scholarship was awarded, which is an award based on points earned throughout the years. The student who had the most points was senior, Evan Loveless. The next award was the John Philips Sousa Award for outstanding achievement and work effort and it went to Sarah Stauffer. The last scholarship award went to Jennifer Little for her amazing participation and her overall attitude and work ethic.